Friday, June 19, 2009

Simple Favorites, updated



A breakfast rhyme:

Yesterday's breakfast was so nice,
that I decided
to have it twice!

Cherries and toasted almonds over yogurt with an agave swirl. Yum.

****







Last night, I met with the ladies I will be moving in with in August. It was supposed to be a "tea and cookies" night, so I decided to bring a plate of Oatmeal-Raisin Cookies. 

If you've been following this blog, you'll note that I try to avoid white flour, refined sugar, enormous quantities of butter,  etc., so I altered the traditional cookie recipe to include coconut oil, brown rice syrup and organic whole wheat flour. Here's the recipe:

Oatmeal-Raisin Cookies

Ingredients:

3/4 c. coconut oil
1 c. brown rice syrup
1/2 c. molasses or honey
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. almond extract
3 c. uncooked oats
1 c. whole wheat flour
1 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
dash of cinnamon and nutmeg
couple handfuls of raisins

Directions:
Make this like you would any other drop cookie: Preheat oven to 350. Combine dry ingredients (oats through cinnamon and nutmeg on the list) in a small bowl. Mix the wet ingredients (coconut oil through almond extract on the list) with a mixer until smooth. Gradually mix in the dry ingredients. Stir in the raisins. Drop rounded teaspoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet (I line mine with parchment paper or use a silpat -- my cookie sheet sucks) and bake for 10-12 minutes.

These were a big hit, and I think I made a good impression with them. Notice that this recipe could easily become vegan if you use egg replacer for the egg. 


No comments: