Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Best Banana-Walnut Muffins are Made with Coconut Oil

I was tired of the same old breakfast options this morning, so I decided to see what we had in the cupboards. I had a large, slightly over-ripe banana and lots of walnuts that need to be used up, so voila, banana-walnut muffins.
I just used the basic banana-walnut muffin recipe from The Joy of Cooking and used coconut oil instead of butter or vegetable oil. Coconut oil seems a little less stable than other oils. One time, I made oatmeal cookies with it, and as the hot day progressed, the cookies melted into each other on the plate. Tasted good, but weird texture.
On the other hand, the coconut oil is a great substitution for these muffins, especially since I only had one banana (though quite large) and the recipe calls for 2 or 3. This oil not only adds a nutty taste and fragrance, it also helps keep the muffins moist.
Now, I have to unload these on someone or someones so I don't eat them all!



No comments: