Sunday, October 31, 2010

Graveyard Dust Brownies

As I write this, they exist only as ghostly remembrances of what they were in life. I'm talking about brownies. Brownies that were devoured so ravenously at the revels last night that I failed to take a picture in time. 

I've made reference before to the joys of the 1946 Joy of Cooking cookbook. Several years ago, my boyfriend at the time used one of the recipes in the book as a template for a cake-like-yet-still-fudgey brownie. I can't remember which recipe he followed (sort of), but I remember that the results were fantastic. Yesterday, I concocted these "Graveyard Dust Brownies," borrowing heavily from the cookbook, S's innovations and my own inspirations.

Graveyard Dust Brownies

Preheat oven to 325. Yup, a little bit cooler than your usual baking temp. Line with wax paper or oiled parchment, 2 med. baking dishes (you could probably do a 9x13, but I feel that I get better results with smaller pans -- less burning around the edges).

Melt and then let cool:
* 3 oz. unsweetened chocolate squares
* 1 oz. black cocoa (an intensely dark cocoa powder that is great to use as an accent to regular chocolate. You'll need more for the graveyard dust)
* 1 stick or 1/2 c. unsalted butter

Beat until light:
* 4 eggs
1/4 tsp. salt

Add in gradually:
2 c. sugar

Continue to beat until light and creamy. Fold in the melted chocolate and:

* 1 tsp. vanilla
* 1 c. whole wheat pastry flour

Beat until smooth. Fold in (as desired):

* 1/4 c. walnuts
* 1/4 c. chunky peanut butter
* 1/4 c. shredded, unsweetened coconut

Pour mixture into prepared pans and bake until set, about 40-45 min. Remove from oven and dust with Graveyard Dust:

Graveyard Dust

Mix in a small bowl:
* scant 1/4 c. sifted powdered sugar
* 1/8 c. or a little more of black cocoa

Sift together until gray.


No comments: