Sunday, October 17, 2010

Chipotle-Infused Butternut-Miso Soup

I'm so glad this came out as well as it did. I was a little worried that I was trying to force together too many elements, but the concoction actually achieves a delicious harmony. I made my own veg stock, which I then infused with a large, dried chipotle pepper. I roasted the winter squash, which I then pureed with the miso paste and a ladle or two of broth.The salty-sweetness of the miso raises the profile of the smoky chipotle and the sweet butternut. The soup tastes rich and satisfying.

Chipotle-Infused Butternut-Miso Soup

Preheat oven to 400F. In a med. to large baking dish, toss together:

1 small-medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
drizzle of olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Roast until softened and golden. In a large saucepan, heat:

3 1/2 c. of vegetable broth
1 large, dried chipotle

Cook until the chipotle starts to soften. Add:

2 large shiitake tops, diced

Cook for a few minutes. Meanwhile, puree the squash with a ladle or two of the broth and

2-3 tbs. of white miso paste

To the broth, add and only cook until wilted, under a minute:

5-6 leaves of swiss chard or other green, cut into ribbons

Add the pureed squash to the broth; stir and heat through, but do NOT allow the soup to boil, or the miso will "die." Serve garnished with toasted squash seeds.

1 comment:

Simply Life said...

oh that soup looks great!